"When one door of happiness closes, another opens;
but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
Helen Keller

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

When and Where

The disadvantage of my job is not knowing when or where the next move is or will be. With Brycen's response to change, that could make a move very difficult. Moving means more money and more money can greatly benefit Brycen. It is almost a double edge sword, move and create havic or live check to check and depend on goverment support for everything. The answer, yet not easy, would be move no matter what because the money is needed if we want to keep Brycen making progress.
I am fortunate to have a job where they think family first, and they are looking to make a move for me that benefits my family. The best thing about my job is the understanding between a happy home and a happy work place. Family is the most important to them and they consider an employee family. I have only worked for the company a short time (unless you factor in growing up with it in my blood) but I will be forever grateful for those decisions that they make.
The hardest thing is having your hopes up about an opening and then being let down. What I deam as the perfect place to move for me and my family must be different for them. I have to keep telling myself they truly have my best interest at heart. The longer we stay in one place I almost feel like I'm letting my family down because it is taking so long. With Brycen time is not on our side, the brain is developing now and if we can't keep giving him everything he needs, later might be too late. I would love to "push" the issue but I'm afraid of how that might hurt my future.
If only we had a crystal ball and it could tell my family when and where, maybe for Brycen's sake, just this once let us know.

2 comments:

  1. Keep the faith that God knows where you're heading. He had a plan before he created any of you and he promises that his plan is good! Jeremiah 29:!1 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope." The trials and waiting is all part of HIS plan, he's developing you into who He wants you to be as a family! You're a blessing to those around you! -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have different Christian views. I have been taught that God allows people to make choices and live their own lives. God doesn't control people's thoughts he only assists them in hopefully making the right choices. So it isn't in God's hands, it is in human hands. The lord may have plans for people but its people's choice whether or not to follow that plan.
    Now I'm not the most religious man but I do have a strong Christian upbringing and this is how we believe God works.

    ReplyDelete

Autism and Our Family

"Autism"----It's one word that can change the life of a child and family in so many ways. Autism Spectrum Disorders are being diagnosed at a rate of 1 in 68 children currently. If you do not already know someone that has been diagnosed, the statistics say it won't be long before you do.

Our son developed typically until around the time he turned 2 years old. We heard words...we saw him play with other kids...we watched as he played with his toys appropriately...we made eye contact with him...overall we understood his wants and needs. In a matter of a few months, that was all taken away from him. He began lining up toys, lost all of his words and signs except for one word "ball", ignored other kids, could not sleep through the night, lost eye contact and the ability to follow directions, and he had no way of letting us know what he wanted or how he felt. It was heartbreaking to see something happening to our child that we couldn't stop!

Brycen began receiving home therapy 1-2 times per month for about 6 months before we realized it wasn't just developmental delays. We knew it was Autism...we just didn't want to say it outloud to anyone. He was officially diagnosed with Autism (classic form and regressive), as well as Mental Retardation in August 2009 by the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics.

We continue to learn as we make our way through this journey with Brycen and we will continue to share this journey with you on this blog! The blog has been a great therapy for us to be able to vent our frustrations and struggles with accepting that we have a child with special needs, while sharing how blessed we are to have a child teach us what life truly means. It has also been a great way to inform others of his progress and changes over the last couple of years.

Thank you for your support of Brycen and our family! We hope you are able to learn something through this blog no matter if you are a parent of a child with special needs or a neurotypical child, a teacher or therapist, a family member, or just someone that is interested in the journey that a family goes on as they learn their child is battling a life-long disorder.